Information about the 2017 AGU Fall meeting sessions coming soon.
Please note: This year the Earth and Space Science Informatics Focus Group will be hosting two events (and a co-sponsored event). Both ESSI hosted events are open to ALL ESSI members. AGU has changed how Focus Group receptions are being organized this year. We have replaced our traditional business meeting/reception at the Infusion Lounge with an Early Career/Student networking mixer. This mixer will host our traditional business meeting activities. We are also having a general reception at Mardi Gras World on Tuesday night (ticketed event, see details below). This is a general reception using shared space with 12 other Focus Groups and Sections. Since we didn’t quite know what to expect with this event, we organized the mixer to ensure that we could still network with our ESSI folks in a more intimate setting.
ESSI Early Career/Student Networking Mixer – OPEN TO ALL ESSI members
ESSI is hosting an event to foster engagement with our Early Career and Student members. It is important that more seasoned ESSI members attend and network with the Early Career and Student members. This event will include our traditional meeting activities and the ‘5 words from our leadership’ presentation. The mixer will include heavy appetizers. Drink tickets will be made available and in addition there will be a cash bar.
Menu: Artisanal Cheese Display, Crab Cake; Vegetable Samosa; Chicken Satay
Earth and Space Science Informatics Section Reception (Mardi Gras World)
This year AGU is holding a joint Section and Focus Groups receptions at the Mardi Gras World. It is open to the more than 4,000 colleagues from 12 different focus groups and sections. ESSI will be co-located with the Nonlinear Geophysics and the Near Surface Focus groups. This event requires a ticket which is purchased through the AGU registration portal.
IgniteAGU! a co-sponsored ESSI and ESIP event
NASA’s Applied Sciences Program – in partnership with AGU’s Earth and Space Science Informatics (ESSI) group and the ESIP Federation – is thrilled to co-sponsor IgniteAGU 2017 at the upcoming Fall AGU meeting. Ignite (www.igniteshow.com), a concept created by O’Reilly Media, provides presenters a strict presentation format – five minutes and 20 slides that auto-advance every 15 seconds – to make their point. Enlighten us, but make it quick!
IgniteAGU! is still looking for presenters. The deadline to sign up is Friday, November 17, 2017 COB. For more information: http://www.esipfed.org/meeting-news/igniteagu2017
CALL FOR SESSIONS!
What would you like to get out the AGU 2016 Fall Meeting? Do you have research you would like to share? Topics you would like to explore? Now is your chance to effect that by proposing a session for the meeting.
The deadline is one week away (4/20/2016).
We have created a web page to help community members organize their sessions.
A couple of points about sessions:
– Note that oral sessions formats are not limited to simply 15 minute presentations. Other possible formats include panel discussions and lightning presentations of less than seven minutes. Further information about proposing such a session is provided below from the Fall Meeting Program Committee.
– One may also propose a Union session, which is for topics with a broad interest beyond a single section or focus group
– More information is here about types of sessions is here.
– Sessions may be “collaborative”, i.e., they may be co-organized, cross-listed, co-sponsered, or a SWIRL. To help distinguish these concepts, AGU has created a flow chart to help proposers navigate the concepts and the submission process.
– Other session submission info is available here.
Here are a few highlights
2012 Fall Meeting – U32A – Towards a Global Cyberinfrastructure for the Geosciences